PO Box 9
Richmond, IN 47375
(765) 357-4335 (mobile)
Internet technologist and engineer with over twenty years experience. Excellent communicator with full-stack development, management and founder experience, ranging from creating and growing a boutique web application development firm to launching and supporting high-profile projects for some of the biggest names on the web. Ability to make complex concepts accessible and gather competing priorities and perspectives into a clear path forward. Respected organizational leader, facilitator and community builder.
Key Skill Areas
- Leadership: business management, HR and performance coaching, public speaking, group facilitation and consensus building, data-driven decision-making, organizational planning and leadership.
- Marketing and media production: messaging and framing, technical writing and editing, blogging, audio/radio broadcast segment design, production and editing, presentation design, workshop design and training material production.
- Systems and networking: UNIX installation, configuration and management, TCP/IP network architecture and security, database administration (PostgreSQL, MySQL), Amazon Web Services solution design and implementation, load balancing and high-availability, Apache and nginx configuration and deployment, systems monitoring and alerting.
Special Projects Engineer
I build custom WordPress sites and related software tools for influential people, interesting organizations and worthwhile causes.
- Consulting with new and potential clients to advise on best practices, develop technical specifications and manage project lifecycles.
- Developing automated tools and processes to extract and migrate content from closed/proprietary/legacy content management systems.
- Providing technical development and support services to existing clients.
May 2014-June 2017
- Provided support, hosting, consulting, and other services to enterprise clients building some of the biggest and best WordPress sites on the web (Facebook, TIME, Microsoft, TED, Quartz, USA Today, etc).
- Performed best practices advising, product support, account management, project planning, software development and documentation, tool deployment and maintenance, training and related tasks.
- From November 2015, served as a lead on the VIP Support team, building tools and coordinating efforts to improve the quality and performance of our client support services. Assisted with interviewing, hiring, training and coaching team members.
Principal and co-founder
August 1997-May 2014
- Co-founded this Internet technology services company as a college student.
- Led 16+ years of profitable operation providing website development, consulting and related technical services to clients all over the U.S.
- Responsible for overall strategy and operations, budgeting and financial management, hiring, training, managing and evaluating staff of 12, sales, marketing and community relations, project management, quality assurance, systems administration and technical support, and other duties as needed.
Instructor and Public Speaker
- Taught technology courses for Earlham College (Software Engineering and Robotics).
- Regularly presents on technical and non-technical topics to audiences in the region.
- Organized conferences from 1999 to 2005 on economic and cultural issues related to food production and population growth.
Not-for-profit Organizational Leader
- Sought-after community member for leadership roles at not-for-profit organizations in the Wayne County, Indiana area. Elected or appointed to chair/president of a variety of boards of directors, including for the Wayne County Foundation, WayNet.org, Main Street Richmond and the Clear Creek Food Cooperative, and have served on boards for the Earlham College Alumni Council, the Conflict Resolution Center, the Palladium-Item Editorial Advisory Board, Indiana University East and others.
- Received broad community support in a first-time run for Richmond Common Council, winning in a primary election and narrowly losing in the general election.
- Recipient of various awards for community improvement and contributions.
B.A. in Computer Science (1999)
College Honors and Departmental Honors
References available upon request