PO Box 9
Richmond, IN 47375
(765) 357-4335 (mobile)
Internet technologist and engineer with over twenty-two years experience. Excellent communicator with full-stack development, management and founder experience, ranging from creating and growing a boutique web application development firm to launching and supporting high-profile projects for some of the biggest names on the web. Media producer with experience in blogging, podcasting and print publishing. Political consultant and former candidate. Respected organizational leader, facilitator and community builder.
Senior Software Engineer & Director of Special Projects
I'm a Senior Software Engineer on a Special Projects team that builds custom WordPress sites and related software tools for influential people, interesting organizations and worthwhile causes.
- Connecting and consulting with influencers to advise on best practices, develop technical requirements and manage project lifecycles.
- Interviewing, hiring, training, coaching and supporting team members and our contractors.
- Creating and refining team processes and tools that help us scale our work.
- Coordinating across other Automattic divisions and teams to improve products and services.
- From March 2018 through August 2019, I served as the team lead and Director of Special Projects.
I help various progressive candidates, organizations and elected officials with strategy, messaging and communications. In 2019 I served in an unpaid role as the Director of Communications and Advisor to the Candidate for the successful campaign to re-elect Richmond, Indiana's Mayor Dave Snow:
- Developed and implemented campaign communications strategy in both the primary and general election cycles.
- Crafted campaign and candidate communications including written statements, public remarks, website content, paid promotions and social media updates.
- Advised on candidate strategy for media appearances, public forums and debates.
- Identified and coordinated media opportunities for the campaign.
- Assisted the candidate and Campaign Manager with other strategy decisions and served as Acting Campaign Manager when needed.
Enterprise Software Support Engineer & Enterprise Support Engineering Team Lead
May 2014-June 2017
- Provided support, hosting, consulting, and other services to enterprise clients building some of the biggest and best WordPress sites on the web (Facebook, TIME, Microsoft, TED, Quartz, USA Today, etc).
- Performed best practices advising, product support, account management, project planning, software development and documentation, tool deployment and maintenance, training and related tasks.
- From November 2015, served as a lead on the VIP Support team, building tools and coordinating efforts to improve the quality and performance of our client support services. Assisted with interviewing, hiring, training and coaching team members.
Principal and co-founder
August 1997-May 2014
- Co-founded this Internet technology services company as a college student.
- Led 16+ years of profitable operation providing website development, consulting and related technical services to clients all over the U.S.
- Responsible for overall strategy and operations, budgeting and financial management, hiring, training, managing and evaluating staff of 12, sales, marketing and community relations, project management, quality assurance, systems administration and technical support, and other duties as needed.
Instructor and Public Speaker
- Regularly presents on technical and non-technical topics to national audiences.
- Taught technology courses for Earlham College (Software Engineering and Robotics).
- Organized conferences from 1999 to 2005 on economic and cultural issues related to food production and population growth.
Not-for-profit Organizational Leader
- Sought-after community member for leadership roles at not-for-profit organizations in the Wayne County, Indiana area. Elected or appointed to chair/president of a variety of boards of directors, including for the Wayne County Foundation, WayNet.org, Main Street Richmond and the Clear Creek Food Cooperative, and have served on boards for the Earlham College Alumni Council, the Conflict Resolution Center, the Palladium-Item Editorial Advisory Board, Indiana University East and others.
- Received broad community support in a first-time run for Richmond Common Council, winning in a primary election and narrowly losing in the general election.
- Recipient of various awards for community improvement and contributions.
Graduate studies in Journalism
Ball State University
Expected completion in 2022
B.A. in Computer Science
College Honors and Departmental Honors
Key Skill Areas
- Leadership: business management, HR and performance coaching, public speaking, group facilitation and consensus building, data-driven decision-making, organizational planning and leadership.
- Communications and media production: messaging and framing, technical writing and editing, blogging, audio/radio broadcast segment design, production and editing, presentation design, workshop design and training material production.
- Systems and networking: UNIX installation, configuration and management, TCP/IP network architecture and security, database administration (PostgreSQL, MySQL), Amazon Web Services solution design and implementation, load balancing and high-availability, Apache and nginx configuration and deployment, systems monitoring and alerting.
References available upon request