I'm a deep generalist currently focused on software engineering, writing and the open web. I have primarily worked as an Internet technologist and full-stack developer, but I have a range of experience as a founder, manager, organizational leader and community builder.
I like to think about how systems (e.g. Internet applications, businesses and organizations, media and politics, pillow forts) work, and then try to make them better (more efficient and effective, less harmful to the planet, more just and equitable, more fun).
I also am or have been a:
- Technology business founder
- Open source software developer
- Candidate for elected office
- UNIX systems administrator
- Regional sustainability conference organizer
- Editorial columnist and blogger
- Conference and workshop speaker
- Not-for-profit board president
- Weekly news & opinion podcast host
- Performer of magic and juggling
- College computer science course instructor
- Husband and father
- World traveler
I blog here about the thinking and experiences described above; you can read my signature blog posts and a statement of ethics and comment guidelines for this website. I also write about life in Richmond, Indiana at RichmondMatters.com.
In the interest of full disclosure and to promote the organizations and projects with which I'm involved, here's a list of my personal and professional affiliations:
- I'm employed at Automattic, Inc. (2014-present)
- I'm a volunteer consultant on strategy and messaging for various local political campaigns to elect progressive candidates.
- I was Principal and owner of Summersault, LLC, an Internet technology services firm I co-founded (1997-2014)
- I'm a proud graduate of Earlham College, a past member and officer of the College's Alumni Council (2009-2015), and have previously taught classes there (Robotics in May 2003 and Software Engineering in Spring 2006)
- I'm a former board member and board chair at the Wayne County Foundation (2010-2016)
- I was an unsuccessful candidate for an At Large seat on the Richmond Indiana Common Council in 2011
- I'm a former community volunteer member of the Palladium-Item's editorial advisory board
- I'm a former member of the Indiana University East School of Humanities and Social Sciences Board of Advisors
- I'm a former board member and board president of WayNET.org
- I'm a former board president at the Clear Creek Food Cooperative (now closed)
- I'm a former board member and volunteer mediator for the Conflict Resolution Center (now closed)
- I was a co-owner of Summersault Properties, LLC (2005-2017)
- I'm the owner of Silverback Adventures, LLC