I'm a deep generalist currently focused on software engineering, journalism and the open web. I have primarily worked as an Internet technologist and full-stack developer, but I have a range of experience as a founder, manager, organizational leader and community builder.
I like to think about how systems (e.g. Internet applications, businesses and organizations, media and politics, pillow forts) work, and then try to make them better (more efficient and effective, less harmful to the planet, more just and equitable, more fun).
I also am or have been a:
- Technology business founder
- Open source software developer
- Candidate for elected office
- UNIX systems administrator
- Regional sustainability conference organizer
- Editorial columnist and blogger
- Conference and workshop speaker
- Distributed team leader
- Political consultant
- Not-for-profit board president
- Weekly news & opinion podcast host
- Performer of magic and juggling
- College computer science course instructor
- Husband and father
- World traveler
I'm currently exploring the intersections of technology, journalism and civic engagement through a variety of projects and consulting engagements.
I'm the founder of WP Lookout, a theme and plugin update tracking service for WordPress professionals. I'm also a graduate journalism student. Previously, I worked as a Senior Software Engineer in Special Projects at Automattic, the makers of WordPress.com and more.
I blog here about the thinking and experiences described above; you can read my signature blog posts and a statement of ethics and comment guidelines for this website. I also write about technology and software at tech.chrishardie.com and about life in Richmond, Indiana at RichmondMatters.com.
In the interest of full disclosure and to promote the organizations and projects with which I'm involved, here's a list of my personal and professional affiliations:
- I'm a limited partner investor in TinySeed's Fund 2 (2021-present)
- I'm the founder of WP Lookout (2020-present)
- I'm enrolled in graduate studies in Journalism at Ball State University (2019-present)
- I'm the owner of Kind and Curious Ventures LLC (2020-present)
- I'm a volunteer consultant on strategy and communications for various local political campaigns to elect progressive candidates. (2015-present)
- I was the Consulting Digital Editor for Hometown Media Group LLC (2020)
- I was employed at Automattic, Inc. (2014-2019)
- I was Principal and owner of Summersault, LLC, an Internet technology services firm I co-founded (1997-2014)
- I'm a proud graduate of Earlham College, a past member and officer of the College's Alumni Council (2009-2015), and have previously taught classes there (Robotics in May 2003 and Software Engineering in Spring 2006)
- I'm a former board member and board chair at the Wayne County Foundation (2010-2016)
- I was an unsuccessful candidate for an At Large seat on the Richmond Indiana Common Council in 2011
- I'm a former community volunteer member of the Palladium-Item's editorial advisory board (2012-2013)
- I'm a former member of the Indiana University East School of Humanities and Social Sciences Board of Advisors (2010-2012)
- I'm a former board member and board president of WayNET.org (2000-2004)
- I'm a former board president at the Clear Creek Food Cooperative (now closed)
- I'm a former board member and volunteer mediator for the Conflict Resolution Center (2007-2009, now closed)
- I was a co-owner of Summersault Properties, LLC (2005-2017)
- I was the owner of Silverback Adventures, LLC (2006-2016)