The people who I see making the most progress in community building (at any level) are the ones who can effectively articulate the things that they are working toward, what they're for, and then get other people excited about different ways to make that happen.
The people who I see doing the most damage to community building efforts are the ones who only seem able to talk about the things they are against.
Maybe you recognize these different profiles?
- Is usually dreaming about ways to make something better
- Celebrates existing strengths and accomplishments as a foundation to build on
- Understands possibilities for the future, describes them well
- Lets their ideas evolve as they get feedback
- Connects with stakeholders and figures out how to help
- Engages through questions, observation and collaboration